Executive Director’s Update to Principals #71: COVID Update - 6 Sep 2021
God of stilled waters,
God of calmed seas,
on a night of a difficult crossing
as your friends began to lose faith, you awoke and hushed
the turbulent waves
with the power of unearthly peace. May we respect the sheer force
of what we cannot control
and believe in the strength that sleeps in this storm.
~ Corrymeela Community
Today’s Victorian Press Conference
The following points of interest were raised in today’s Victorian Press Conference:
- With bookings opening for the VCE vaccination blitz today, there were over 30,000 phone calls between 8am-11am this morning to place bookings. Students are reassured that there are enough doses allocated to the priority program so they will not miss out.
- Students are being urged to book an appointment as the priority program does not take walk-ups. Year 12 students can book from today, and other students undertaking Unit 3/4 subjects can book from this Wednesday 8 September.
- The Victorian Government encourages all people in education to get vaccinated, including students aged 12 and up, through to staff.
- There are still plans to ease restrictions in regional Victoria this week except for Shepparton. This will not be a ‘snap back’, but will be a gradual easing of support and wellbeing measures.
Please note that, at this point in time, nothing has been confirmed about schools returning to on-site learning during Term 3. Any updates on this will be circulated as soon as they are forthcoming.
Watch today’s Victorian Press Conference here (commences at comments on education).
Facemask back-up supplies
The Victorian Government will be providing a supply of facemasks to all schools again this year. The following quantities will be delivered directly to schools from the Department of Education:
- 500 masks (10 boxes) to all primary schools
- 750 (15 boxes) to all secondary schools
It has been requested that they are delivered during term time, however schools should ensure that they have a process in place to receive deliveries on any business day.
Schools are encouraged to reach out to other schools in their area to pass on any surplus supplies, or conversely to request additional supplies if required.
Please note that this is intended as a back-up supply.
Permitted Essential Assessments
The attached letter has been sent to Principals and non-school senior secondary providers from VCAA CEO Stephen Gniel regarding onsite attendance for preparation and participation in Permitted Essential Assessments. Additional infection control prevention advice is also included in the attachment.
Next COVID Update
We will continue to monitor the situation and advise principals of any updates. Please liaise with the COVID Support team (see left hand column) or your Education Consultant with any questions or concerns.
Stay safe and continue to look after each other…
Deputy Director of Catholic Education (Interim)